Individual, Couples, and Family Psychotherapy for Children, Adolescents, and Adults
The Albert Ellis Institute has a staff of psychotherapists and psychologists all of whom are trained to help individuals and families with a broad range of emotional and behavioral problems, including but not limited to:
Anger and Related Disorders
Bipolar and Related Disorders
Challenges Related to Daily Living
- Social Skills and Assertiveness Deficits
- Career & Lifestyle Changes
- Relationship Difficulties
Disruptive, Impulse-Control and Conduct Disorders
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender (LGBT)–Related Concerns
Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders
Anger Management Group
Wednesdays ● 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Fee: $60 per session
Anger is one of the moral emotions and it often leads to conflicts and harms relationships with those closest to you.
Through the group therapy process, clients learn from the leaders and other group members. We work to establish a positive, reinforcing atmosphere to share and learn from each other.
This group is appropriate for clients who have temper outbursts, who argue frequently with others, and for those who have assaulted others. It is also helpful for those whose anger is interfering with their romantic, parenting, or professional relationships. The group also serves as treatment for those with legal problems concerning assault and domestic violence.
By attending our Anger group, you will learn how to:
- determine whether your anger is helping you or hurting you
- identify your anger triggering events
- identify how others respond to your anger
- relax and calm yourself when faced with anger triggers
- identify emotions that are more functional than anger
- identify your thoughts and beliefs that are associated with anger
- stop ruminating about injustice and hurt you have accumulated
- replace the anger generating thoughts with more adaptive ones
- identify alternatives to revenge and vengeance
- resolve conflicts with more assertive behaviors
- rebuild your damaged relationships
The group leader, Dr. Ray DiGiuseppe, is a world-renowned expert on anger. He is the co-author of Understanding Anger Disorders (2007, Oxford University Press), the Anger Disorder Scale (2004, for adults), and the Anger Regulation and Expression Scale (2011, for children and adolescents). Dr. DiGiuseppe has published extensively on clinical anger problems in professional and scientific journals and has lectured extensively on anger to professional audiences.
Dr. DiGiuseppe runs the Anger Research Center at St. John’s University. You can visit their web page and participate in anger research. If you are interested in the Anger Group at The Albert Ellis Institute, please call (212) 535-0822 for a group screening.
For more information, or to schedule a screening, please call (212) 535-0822.
The Albert Ellis Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to offering moderately priced psychotherapy sessions. In addition, reduced rates are offered to college and university students.
* Multi-lingual therapists are available to accommodate Spanish speaking clients.